Listen to Joyce Resin on the Benefits of Dance
recorded: 2018-09-24 from CBC Radio – BC Today – Staying Healthy as you age (near to end of show)
Top reasons to be a folk dancer
- Folk dancing builds community.
- Dancing helps build all the “intelligences“.
- Folk dancing is great exercise for people of all ages.
- Folk dance is rooted in important traditions that identify who we are.
- Folk dancing is an opportunity to cooperate, trust, and help others.
- Folk dancing is celebratory.
- Folk dancing is fun-raising!
- Folk dancing keeps cultural heritage alive.
- Folk dancing is participatory.
- Folk dancing fosters inter-cultural awareness and understanding.
- Folk dancing is sustainable and has a low carbon footprint.
- Folk dance is intergenerational.
- People smile while folk dancing.
- Folk dancers hold hands.
- No partner necessary. [And partners have been found while folk dancing!]
- Folk dancing expands one’s experiences when travelling.
- Folk dancing exposes us to diverse musical rhythms and traditions.
- Opportunities for gentility and chivalry abound!
Above list courtesy of Susan Barker of Joie de Vivre Folk Dancers of Ottawa.